Monday, December 5, 2011

A New Dawn

It was 6:40 yesterday morning when Cooper jumped onto the couch with mouthful of socks, his way of telling me it was time for him to go out. I had been dozing on the couch, but even in my drowsy state, I remembered that sunrise would occur around that time. I hopped up to let him out.

Our backyard faces towards the East. I could see the sun's reflection on the mountain in the distance and a rush of gratefulness swept through me, much warmer than the cold air I felt as I opened the door to put Cooper out. It was a new day. I was here to see it.

The trauma of the night before was unrevealed to me as I had not reached for my phone. In that moment, I knew that I had a new nephew, but I was not sure how and when he made his way into this world. The sun rose as I found two texts from my brother.

Jedidiah Hallsted Dale had been born around 1:00 a.m. via c-section, after more than 13 hours of labor. It took three doctors to retrieve him from Kelly's petite body. She lost A LOT of blood, as the bleeding did not stop readily. My brother undoubtedly saw his life flash in front of his eyes. My heart sank. This is not what I wanted for him. My sensitive brother (and Kelly) who have flown 1,000's of miles to help me through my cancer journey had just had what should have been the happiest experience of their lives turn nearly to tragedy. But not quite.

When I saw the new dawn yesterday, I thought of how their lives had new meaning and of how new beginnings bring new hope for bright tomorrows. I know they have plenty of those ahead of them. Jedidiah is truly a blessing. I can hardly wait to meet the little guy. To hold him and tell him all about his daddy and how much I love his mommy. To spend every minute I am able wishing for him all the blessings that have been bestowed on my two kids. Wishing these same blessings for Darin and Kelly.

I do not know how much time I have left. It could be five years; it could be one; and it could be 50. After witnessing from a far all that Darin and Kelly had to go through to bring little Jedidiah into this world, I cannot imagine not living to see him graduate from high school, college and even get married. Hope....isn't that was the dawn is all about?

1 comment:

  1. Amen!! Congratulation Darin!! God Bless!!

    Zanetta

    ReplyDelete