Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Support Found

While I love you all dearly, there is nothing like sitting in the room with a bunch of 30-somethings who all have or have had tumors the size of golf balls or greater to compare notes on cancer treatment, losing your hair, kids, mothers, colleagues and all the ins and outs of "slaying this dragon".

My good friend and colleague, Chris Meyer, introduced me to Bev Mangerich, RN, BSN at Scripps Polster Breast Care Center. Bev invited me to a support group for women suffering from breast cancer who are under the age of 40.

I have to admit - I felt understood in a way that I have not felt before, at least for the last week anyway. And Chris sat right with me too, sometimes holding my hand and the whole time taking copious notes for me to refer back to. What a great friend.

What a fabulous group of women. Thanks, Bev and Chris - and all those who were there tonight. You all inspired me - and I feel hope.

P.S. Before Chris came to Rady Children's, it is important to know that she helped raise philanthropy for the digital mammography system at Scripps Polster Breast Care Center.

No comments:

Post a Comment