Sunday, November 29, 2009

War Paint

My good friend Julann has been putting different color streaks in her hair for the past six months or more. Not all over her head, just a few here and there in the bottom layers of her beautiful red hair. I have always thought it was cool.

When I received confirmation from clinicians at Kaiser that I was going to lose my hair during my chemo treatments, I decided there was no time like the present to imitate Julann's prowess and give my locks a new look.

I posted the following on Julann's Facebook page: "I think my hair needs some purple streaks before chemo." Little did I know that several of my neighborhood friends would join me, hosted by Julann at her house last night.

We were also joined in by my sister-in-law, Kelly, who also put streaks in her hair. Darin was there too (We tried to get him to die his beard half purple, half pink - but he was not up for it.) Having Darin and Kelly there was so incredibly special.

So last night, I posted on my Facebook page, that I was dawning "my war paint". I have to say that never was there a girl so lucky to have such great friends who would dawn the war paint right along with me. I have been truly touched by all the love and support in all of its many facets since my journey started but never have I felt more adored than I did last night.

Thank you ladies, those there in spirit and support, and the daughters that participated too, Charli, Piper and my Maddie. While I know I had "my moment" (Jean, my colleague at Rady Children's, would be proud), I do not think I will ever be able to express to you how much you mean to me or how much I will always cherish that "moment". Love you!

3 comments:

  1. What a wonderful idea!! You just ROCK that purple hair!!! Leanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was an honor getting purple hair with you! Charli loved it too. Thank you for sharing your jouney with us.

    ReplyDelete