Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Chemo Re-Started

Yesterday, I re-started chemotherapy, a new cocktail of Xeloda and Ixempra. I received the Ixempra via IV. The chemo nurse found a vein and started my IV on the first try. She gets brownie points for that. I did have a slight reaction to the chemo, making chemo take a little more than six hours. My dad was there with me. He left to take a walk, to grab us lunch and to run an errand. I slept most of the day. I am unsure as to why...but I was very lethargic when I woke up in the morning, too. Either way, I do not have Ixempra again for three more weeks.

After chemo, I came home, took another nap, ate dinner and took my Xeloda for the first time. I went to bed early. I will take Xeloda twice a day for 14 days. Nothing too notable to tell as of yet. I am am taking a vitamin called Neuro-V that was given to me by a friend of my sister-in-law. A side-affect of Xeloda is neuropathy, numbing of the hands a feet. Neuro-V has been proven to help with prevent/lessen the side effects of neuropathy. I am hopeful.

One of the main side effects that I have been fighting is shortness of breath. I feel like I have been constantly climbing stairs and am too out of shape to be doing so. I am conscience of every breath. Walking up the stairs in my houses causes a slight pant. Making my lunch made me want to sit down. I did a bit of research and learned that exercise is good to help oxygenate my lower lungs. I thought about it, uncomfortable and worrying about my limitations in general. Is this the way I am supposed to live? Finally, I thought, "Screw this! I can be uncomfortable on my couch or I can be uncomfortable doing things I enjoy."

After dinner, I got suited up and took Cooper up for a walk. I felt a little better afterwards. So, I think I will keep going for walks. I might even go out to lunch with my colleagues tomorrow. And maybe Friday, dancing? OK, maybe not. Someday, though.

1 comment:

  1. The perpetual state of breathlessness is frustrating and emotionally difficult. Don't let it stop you from living your life. I think of you every day. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete